Bruxism is an oral health ailment caused by the unconscious act of grinding, clenching, or snapping your teeth together, often done while sleeping. If left unchecked, bruxism can be detrimental to your oral health and could lead to other conditions, including TMD, sleep deprivation, and sleep apnea.
Because bruxism could be damaging your teeth while you sleep, let’s take a look at some symptoms to look out for:
– You have noticeable markings and indentations on your tongue and inner cheek tissue.
– You experience pain in your head in zones beyond your jaw, including your face and ears.
– You have a temporomandibular disorder that has weakened the joints in your jaw.
– You experience difficulty or have pain when fully opening and closing your mouth
– You have teeth that are worn down or are delicate to the touch.
– You may suffer from bruxism if your jaw has been known to lock up or get stuck in place.
Dr. Mike Martin can provide custom night guards to help treat bruxism (grinding and clenching of teeth) or TMJ problems. For more information or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bob Johnson, please call us at 970-245-3633 to speak with a member of our team at Horizon Dental Care. Our dentist office is conveniently located in Grand Junction, Colorado. We look forward to helping you find the relief you need!